What’s better than a sizzling plate of chicken fajitas? It's always so exciting to order…
If bourbon BBQ grilled chicken doesn’t scream Fourth of July, then I don’t know what does. This All-American treat is insanely addictive! These chicken drumsticks are sweet, sticky, smoky and super juicy. Guess what? They have less sugar than most other BBQ meats.
You can’t have a Fourth of July BBQ without grilled meats smothered in your favorite BBQ sauce. Although I didn’t make my own sauce this time, I certainly found a way to jazz up a bottle of BBQ sauce by adding…of course…bourbon!
So here’s the thing, I’m not a bourbon fan. I may be one of the few people that thinks it belongs on chicken instead of in a glass for drinking. As an American, I get that that’s not going to be a popular opinion. Sorry. It does, however, pair well with sweet sauces and a little salt, which makes it perfect on chicken.
You can still feel good about serving this to anyone in the family because the bourbon cooks down and there is no alcohol and zero harsh alcohol flavor left. Cooking down liquor with other flavors helps concentrate the flavors and boosts the overall taste. Now, if you have people that really love spice, add more Sriracha and even red pepper flakes. I loved it hotter!
I am a fan of BBQ sauces that have less sugar and calories and there are several brands out there that serve that purpose. The good news is, no one can really stick their noses up at it because they will never know. Especially with added soy sauce, hoisin, Sriracha, garlic and liquid smoke. All the essentials!
Chicken drumsticks are also perfect for the grill and a holiday BBQ since you don’t have to fear overcooking them. In fact, any dark meat of the chicken works well on the grill and DEFINITELY cooks well with the sauce. This sauce thickens and gets super sticky while it cooks so you need a piece of chicken that takes a little longer to cook while the sauce caramelizes.
Bourbon BBQ Grilled Drumsticks
- 5-6 pounds chicken drumsticks fresh
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoison sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup sugar free or reduced sugar BBQ sauce
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and cumin on both sides of the drumstick.
- In a medium saucepan, combine bourbon, soy sauce, hoisin, Sriracha and garlic. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes stirring every 30 seconds. Allow the mixture to reduce down slightly. Add BBQ sauce and liquid smoke. Add red pepper flakes if desired. Turn down to medium-low heat and allow to cook for another 2-4 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat around 400°.
- Add chicken to the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on one side and then flip the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes on the other side.
- After the first flip°, use a basting brush and brush the chicken with bbq sauce mixture and then flip on its side and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Brush again with sauce.
- Turn the heat down to medium heat and let cook for another 10-15 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 175°-180°. Remove and brush with the rest of the sauce.