The quintessential dip to any bar, pub, tailgate or holiday party. All the favorite features…
Every tailgate needs buffalo chicken something! Bring this to your next tailgate party and leave the guilt at home! And no one will know there are added vegetables to this dip!
I am a firm believer that any gathering, whether it’s sports related or a casual party, needs to have SOMETHING that’s buffalo chicken flavor! It’s an all American staple regardless of how you get your serving of buffalo sauce.
I personally could down a plate of boneless buffalo wings during an Ohio State game (and have), but when having a get together, it’s nicer to share a huge bowl of warm, gooey and spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip.
I refuse to go to a sports bar or a football party without finding some sort of way to get buffalo flavored anything in front of me. That my be the spice junky in me or just the fact that I’m going to smother wing sauce on just about anything I consume during those occasions. Especially if the weather starts to dip in temperature, you want something that warms you while being fun and festive.
Over the years, buffalo chicken dip has become such a fan favorite. I cannot tell you how many different variations there are on the internet. Recipes are all very close but very unique. I say that to say this…there is NO WAY you can mess this up if you stick with the instructions or get creative! I have made this recipe multiple times, and multiple ways and I assure you that even with the fat free cheeses, it is FINE. I know there is push back with cheese that doesn’t have the full fat content. Honestly, it doesn’t even matter to me. Mix it up, use a mixture of cheese and fat ratios, who cares…it is YOUR recipe!
Now, other than cutting the fat in the dairy, how do we REALLY make this a guilt free treat? You’re going to question me and that’s ok but I bulk it up with vegetables! That’s right. Why not mellow the flavor with some nutrients? Really, it’s thicker, chunkier and super flavorful and no one will really know our secret! Plus you can eat more and feel good about it!
The leftovers could go in almost anything like wonton wrappers, bell peppers, tortillas, or on top of a salad. It’s super chunky and mostly lean protein in a dip. In fact, if you have leftovers, the next day of scooping and snacking is just as delicious. This can also be served warm or cold and shovel it into your mouth with carrots, celery, pita chips or tortilla chips.
Side note – the one thing I get picky about with buffalo chicken dip is the chunks. No one wants a chicken dip where you have to look for the chicken. This is considered a high protein snack if you ration the meat to cheese/sauce ratio. The added vegetables amp up the fiber as well so it’s a total win-win
Five Alarm Dip: The last time I made this I substituted 1/3 of the buffalo sauce amount with cayenne pepper hot sauce and it was SUPER spicy! I may recommend the challenge for an intimate group of heat-lovers, but not for a full party of your sensitive friends 😉 I loved it!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken breast chopped or shredded
- 1 (8 oz.) block cream cheese low fat
- ¾-1 ¼ cup buffalo sauce divided
- ¾ cup low fat cheddar cheese/Mexican Cheese Blend shredded
- ½ cup non fat Greek yogurt plain
- 1 (1 oz.) packed ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing mix
- ½ cup reduced fat blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup green onions or chives finely chopped
- Heat a large frying pan or cast iron skillet (12 inches or larger) to medium-high heat. Heat pan with olive oil. When pan is heated after 30 seconds, sauté peppers and onions for 4-6 minutes until onions become slightly translucent. Add zucchini and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In covered pot, add chicken, cream cheese, sautéed vegetables, up to 1 cup of buffalo sauce, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt and ranch dressing mix. Cover and set on stove top at medium-low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Check at the 10-15 minute mark and stir everything together. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until everything is melted together.
- Sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles and green onions.
- Pairs well when served with pita chips, crackers, carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber slices or mini sweet sliced peppers.
- ****If making this in advance, refrain from adding blue cheese and green onions on top. Reheat in the oven for 15 minutes on 350° in an oven safe dish or on stove top. Add cheese and onions before serving. *****