Vegan breakfast sandwiches may be better than you think! In fact, these may be the…
Lunch Box Veggie Sandwich
You may think this is a “Simple Veggie Sandwich” but after making it and tasting it…the name says it all! Tangy cheese, creamy hummus, and layers of your favorite vegetables make this meatless lunch box sandwich the excitement to your day!
A sandwich is a fan favorite! All of your favorite ingredients snuggled between cozy pieces of bread. Why would you pass that up? Sandwiches tend to take up prime real estate in our lunch boxes everyday, yet, so predictable. Peanut butter and jelly, ham and cheese, turkey and Swiss…all simple and classic. Imagine having something with intense flavor and packed full of vegetables. You’re probably skeptical but I beg you to try!
Vegetable sandwiches are probably only popular for vegans and vegetarians. But why? Over the years of eating my share of sandwiches, most of which were PACKED with nutritional ingredients, I’ve grown to love what they offer…and here’s the kicker…I love meat sandwiches! I just happen to love those filled with vegetables as well. Here’s why…
Vegetables are an ingredient you can eat in bulk and feel great about. You can pair crispy, chewy, juicy and creamy all in the same bite. I’m a bulk eater! I’d prefer a plate of lower calorie foods rather than three bites of a junky pleasure. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of great sandwiches out there that I have a hard time turning down. I just wanted to make the lighter ones in that same ball park.
I will also say this is not a “low calorie” meal but certainly not high in calories. It’s all based on what bread and cheese you use. Other than that, load up on vegetables because the calories are only in the carbs and fat. If you love sandwiches and need something that’s meatless…this is it!
Before going down the path of all the different variations of veggie/bread concoctions, I want to get you onboard with the basics. This cannot be MY sandwich, this has to be what you like if you’re going to believe me. I can show you how I make it…and what was INCREDIBLE but feel free to add or cut what works for you. See…I took away your will to eat meat today, but I gave you the freedom to get creative. It’s a fair trade off.
Here’s what you need:
- Bread – Artisan wheat/grain bread. I would suggest something with bite and nutritional value like a whole wheat or multigrain bread with nuts and seeds for added crunch.
- Fat – Avocados or guacamole will be your best friend in this. Of course cheese (use goat cheese if you can!), hummus, pesto and dressing all can be that source but I ALWAYS choose avocados. One a day is my rule!
- Creamy – this can be the same as the fat source. I like two options like hummus and avocado or a cheese spread and pesto. It’s whatever you prefer and seriously…it’s all about whatever you have on hand.
- Basics – You know how you have the go-to clothing items in your closet like a white tee or denim jeans that just are needed for all outfits? That’s how your basic vegetables work. Cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and lettuce all need to win their shot in the production. Pick your favorites and load them up. This is where you can pile them on without the guilt! (Fun fact – put sprouts on one of these sandwiches. For some reason I just really hated it…I like sprouts but the texture for me was not the best so add if you want!)
- Greens – Same as avocados (creamy fat) and basics but I would choose an additional leafy green. If you don’t want to double on lettuce, arugula, spinach, or even a spring mix, I would suggest finding your favorite herb and sprinkling that on top of whatever green base you choose.
This is a simple sandwich. It’s really a quick fix for your lunch in the morning. You can feel great about eating it and know that it’ll provide you the fats and fuels you need to manage your day. Plus with the added cheese, hummus and avocado you’ll get that fatty indulgence that you know you’re dying to have…as healthy as it is!
Lunch Box Veggie Sandwich
- 2 slices artisan whole wheat/whole grain bread toasted
- 1 extra small avocado sliced
- 1 small Roma tomato sliced
- ¼ small red onion sliced
- ½ roasted red pepper sliced
- ¼ cup spinach, arugula or spring mix
- ¼ cup sprouts optional
- 2 tablespoons roasted red pepper hummus
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomato pesto optional
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese spread or crumbles
- 6 slices pickled jalapenos optional
- 4-6 slices cucumber
- sea salt to taste
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Toast bread in a toaster or in the oven for 2-3 minutes on each side with the broil feature.
- Smear goat cheese on one side of the sliced bread and then slice avocado on top of the cheese. (If using goat cheese crumbles, smear avocado on the the bread and then sprinkle goat cheese on the avocado.)
- On the other piece of bread, smear hummus and/or tomato pesto (optional).
- Prepare all remaining vegetables before assembly. On one side of the bread, top with tomato, cucumber, onion, sprouts, red peppers, greens and jalapeños for spice (if desired). Finish with salt and pepper before placing the other piece of bread on top.