The classic grilled cheese gets a grown up twist! Your favorite party dip is now…
The quintessential dip to any bar, pub, tailgate or holiday party. All the favorite features of this dip come to life in this leaner version – without compromising flavor!
It almost feels like no matter what restaurant you visit or what party you attend, spinach artichoke dip makes some sort of an appearance. I absolutely adore this dip and all the unique ways you can use it… just like my spinach artichoke grilled cheese sandwiches!
Full of cheese and fatty dairy products (and a sprinkle of vegetables) – I knew that just adjusting the ratios and lightening up the ingredients (similar to my buffalo chicken dip) would instantly help the dip lose a little of the weight. So much so that I couldn’t stop scooping the dip into my mouth. There’s vegetables in it, right?
Right! This dip, similar to my Buffalo Chicken Dip, have some hidden vegetables in it that not only add some additional nutritional value but don’t impact the flavor negatively. In fact, a chunky dip is superior to just a runny cheese dip.
Fun Fact: My mom tricked me one year when I was watching my calories and told me she cut all the heavy ingredients and made it a low calorie version. I ate the whole batch myself until she laughed and told me nothing was different in it. Good news now… this recipe tastes just like the one she tricked me with but THIS ONE is in fact guilt free and flavorful!
The one other thing I like about this recipe is the lack of a grease. This one is just super cheesy, creamy and full of secret added vegetables that’ll make you question why you ever made the calorie-rich version! The way it cooks down helps whatever cheese (low fat, full fat or fat free) melt and blend well with the rest of the ingredients. It’s so guilt free I even added it to toast for breakfast and it fueled me for the day with fiber, calcium and some vitamins and minerals.
I love having a standard Spinach & Artichoke Dip recipe that I can use for many other recipes. Check out my Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese for a unique way to use the leftovers. Some other fantastic ideas could be mixing this with some whole wheat pasta, stuffing a baked (or twice baked) potato with the dip, stuffing chicken or pork chops, or even topping or adding this into your Sunday morning omelette. While making this, consider some other partners that would work with this dip:
Although you all know college football is very over by this time of year, we still have some NFL games going on (Go birds!) and party foods are needed. This is fantastic for a game day dip and please you New Year’s friend who are on their new health and fitness journeys. It’s really great for a crowd, or for a family of one. Either way, make it and you’ll thank me later.
Serve with homemade Baked Pita Chips!
- 1 (10 oz.) pack chopped frozen spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ½ cup onions diced
- ½ cup bell pepper, red or green diced
- 2 cups kale finely chopped
- ¾ cup zucchini diced
- ½ cup mushrooms diced
- 1 ½ (14 oz.) can artichokes chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) block low fat or fat free cream cheese
- 1 (8 oz.) block light (Laughing Cow) spreadable cheese
- ½ cup part skim mozzarella shredded, divided
- ¾ cup parmesan grated, divided
- ½ cup non fat Greek yogurt divided
- 1 bulb roasted garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder optional
- ½ teaspoon onion powder optional
- ½ lemon juiced (optional)
- Defrost frozen spinach, based on the package instructions. Squeeze and strain out almost all of the water and set aside.
- Heat a large shallow pan on medium-high heat with olive oil. Once the oil is heated after a minute or 2, add onions, peppers and kale. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-3 minutes until onions start to become translucent and kale starts to wilt. Add diced zucchini and mushrooms.
- In covered pot, add cream cheese, artichokes, spinach, shredded cheeses, sautéed vegetables, Greek yogurt, salt and pepper. Cover and set on stove top at medium-low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let set for 4-5 minutes. Add roasted garlic. Fold everything in together. Keep on warm heat to serve.
- Remove and top with grated parmesan and cracked black pepper.