We’ve mastered the variations of fajitas in several different ways – but the most important…
The best way to kick off the summer months and close out Mexican food May is with these light and crispy Tequila & Lime Shrimp Tostadas.
This recipe came to mind when I was trying to think of another way to add tequila to my Mexican May recipe category. I knew another margarita would always please the crowd but I really wanted to add some seafood into the collection…and then boom! Tequila Lime Shrimp!
The shrimp was certainly the star of the show. I don’t know how to describe the uniqueness of the added tequila. Seasoned seared shrimp in general is always a must have. Fresh is best but feel free to use frozen and then completely defrost and pat them dry before cooking.
Although these would be fantastic in a taco just like my Blackened Fish Tacos, I decided to go crispy and flat with tostada shells and I am happy I did! Not only did I eat tostadas for days, I learned that they hold so many more toppings than a folded taco shell. This was mind blowing! Needless to say, I loaded them up!
Here are some great additions to these tostadas:
These tostadas became addicting. I would make them for dinner and then I would dream about eating them again the next day. Once I ran out of shrimp I used chicken and some days just left the off the protein. I will say that the shrimp was my favorite!
This is also a great party-style dinner for groups. You don’t want to make these ahead of time if you’re serving them for a group. If you make them to order you’ll get the best crisp. I suggest cooking the shrimp and then laying out the shells and toppings for the guests to choose what they prefer. This is a different type of Taco Tuesday and no one will be disappointed.
Don’t worry, the tequila cooks off if children are eating these. For those adults who don’t drink or have PTSD from tequila flashbacks, it doesn’t have any type of alcohol flavor. If you’re just totally against the thought of hard liquor with your shrimp, no worries, this recipe works even without it.
Tequila Lime Shrimp Tostadas
For the Shrimp
- 1-1 ½ pounds jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 large lime zest and juiced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
For the Tostada
- 8 tostada shells (two per person)
- guacamole (optional)
- Greek yogurt, plain, non fat (optional)
- refried beans (optional)
- corn salsa (optional)
- cabbage (optional)
- onions (optional)
- pico de gallo (optional)
- jalapeno (optional)
- cotija cheese (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, add shrimp and season with garlic, brown sugar, salt, chili powder, cumin, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Toss until all shrimp are seasoned and then cover and set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan to medium high heat. Once heated, arrange shrimp in a single layer and cook for 3-4 minutes on one side.
- Flip the shrimp and immediately add tequila and lime juice and zest. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and add chopped cilantro.
- Top a tostada shell with your choice of any ingredient like guacamole, sour cream/Greek yogurt, salsa, tomato, onions, beans, cabbage, jalapeños and/or cotija cheese.