One of your favorite Mexican snacks takes a grown-up twist. With cheese, basil pesto and…
Veggie & Goat Cheese Crustless Quiche
Fluffy, warm and cheesy quiche…without the crust! A brunch that makes your tummy full and feeling good! Goat cheese is my go-to these days and it doesn’t disappoint in this breakfast staple. Cut out the carbs and amp up the veggies…everything you need in your protein-packed “most important meal of the day”!
Quiche is one of those things that makes you think you’re fancy! It’s a stunning masterpiece that brings the whole meal into one baking dish. This one is for my veggie loving friends that never want to skip BRUNCH!
I know already there will be a debate on eggs being claimed as “vegetarian”. Whatever way we slice it (no pun intended) eggs are a-ok in an ovo-vegetarian diet…so therefore my vegetarian reference stands. This is made for people that want to hit up the greens and all colors of the rainbow for that matter right when they wake up. Get them in!
Quiche is also known for being super heavy. Quiche leans more towards a custard pie range instead of the omelette realm. It’s eggs and yolks whipped up with cream, baked to set, to become super creamy and decadent! This quiche takes all those elements and lightens the whole meal without losing the fluff and stuff!
When it comes to breakfast, I love sausage, eggs, cheese, bacon and potatoes! So hear me out on this one. It’s just as filling. It’s really perfect for all those brunch lovers who want some oomph in their morning meal but don’t want to be weighed down. In fact, recently I went to a local brunch restaurant and had a garden vegetable skillet with eggs, tomatoes and a variety of summer squash and it was spectacular.
Staring regretfully at my friend’s feast of bread, hollandaise sauce and greasy meats oozing from his plate I immediately felt disappointment in my bowl of nutrients. By the time I ended the meal (and a few mimosas deep) I actually felt full and energized. Now, I’m not saying after a night out, eggs and “salad” hit the spot the best, but this meal did the trick. It inspired my veggie quiche that warms the soul and fills the tummy perfectly.
Also, GOAT CHEESE! As if I can’t rave about it enough, it’s such a weird, funky, flavorful dairy that gives killer vibes to any dish and this was the dish. Let’s be real, veggies and eggs would have been a little dull with no boost of funk!
This meal is sooooooo easy to make too! I’m a big fan of detoxing my fridge of all the produce I bought a week ago with high energy and no creativity to actually use it. This is your shot! Clean out your fridge and waste NOTHING! Got eggs? Great! Cheese? Perfect! Even if you have all the odds and ends of leftover vegetables…EVEN vegetables that are on their last leg, this is the recipe that’ll call all the dead beat veggies home! Waste nothing!
This is also a great way to whip up a fast Sunday breakfast for the family by reusing dinner leftovers the next day…or night. I got home from work late with this quiche still staring at me in the fridge and I threw it in a wrap with some bacon and avocado and fresh tomato and had a well rounded dinner too! Who would have thought!
This is another chance to get those vegetables into your diet. Not just a vegetable, but several!!! So whenever you have the grim reaper roaming your fridge, save the vegetables and bake up this gorgeous quiche!
Veggie & Goat Cheese Crustless Quiche
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cloves garlic crushed/minced
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper diced
- ½ large jalapeno finely diced
- ½ teaspoon salt divided
- ⅓ pint cherry tomatoes quartered
- ¾ medium-large zucchini divided, ½diced, ¼of zucchini sliced
- 6 medium baby bella mushrooms chopped
- ½ teaspoon oregano dried
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil torn, divided
- 3 cups fat free liquid eggs
- ¼ cup fat free heavy cream or milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat with nonstick cooking spray or a drizzle of olive oil. Once heated add garlic, peppers, onions, jalapeño and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 2-4 minutes until fragrant and the onions become slightly translucent.
- Once the onions are cooked add tomatoes and cook for an additional minute or two. Add diced zucchini, chopped mushrooms, red pepper flakes and oregano. Cook for 2-4 minutes until cooked through. Remove from heat and then add spinach and allow to finish cooking over indirect heat until wilted.
- In pie dish that’s been coated with nonstick cooking spray, add half of the sautéed vegetable mixture, half the basil and 1/2 cup of crumbled goat cheese.
- In a separate medium bowl mix liquid eggs with heavy cream, pepper and remaining salt. Pour eggs into the pie dish over the vegetables. Top with the remaining vegetables. Bake for 25 minutes.
- In the same sauté pan, spray with nonstick cooking spray and bring to high heat. Add zucchini slices and sear on both sides for 1-2 minutes until slightly charred.
- Remove quiche from the oven after the 25 minute mark. The center should still be loose. Top with charred zucchini, the last 1/4 cup of goat cheese and basil. Cook for another 15 minutes till the center is set (it should/could puff up slightly).
- Remove and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.