A classic soup for a cold day just got a makeover. Your inner child will…
Looking for an easy, inexpensive, healthier Taco Tuesday? This is your recipe! A vegetarian go-to that shockingly will become the star of any weeknight dinner!
There’s no question – tacos are by far my favorite food (right behind fried chicken and some sort of pizza/stromboli variation). I don’t think I’ve met someone who says they DON’T like tacos.
I love every type of authentic street taco paired with grilled Mexican street corn. And I love any and all Mexican restaurants and any and all tacos they serve. I have to admit though… there’s still a place in my heart for a good ole’ boxed taco kit.
This was such an easy week night dinner for my mom to whip up. When it came to my birthday we would go out to eat but she also offered a day of the week to make me a meal of my choice. It was always the simple weeknight tacos. There is something so comforting and oddly flavorful about this dinner.
If you asked me how many tacos I planned on eating in one sitting, it’s nothing less than a dozen. That’s sick, I know. But if I could I would. I even remember the day I passed my real estate exam I celebrated at a chain Mexican restaurant for all-you-can-eat taco night. My stomach never forgave me.
The point I’m making about the basic-homemade-from-a-can-or-packet tacos is they are addicting but not the healthiest. Plus, there’s never enough. Stop telling yourself you cannot eat a couple extra tacos when you really want them. Here is a way to feel no guilt with eating my all time Mexican favorite.
When I started thinking about this recipe I was talking to a friend at work that raved about how they loved all bean and lentil tacos. It hit me, I needed my slow cooker to make this happen. And once I did…I fell in love with the simple weeknight tacos like I loved as a kid. As a grown adult, I felt sooooo little guilt. So little guilt that I felt great about eating a dozen!
Weeknight Lentil Tacos
- 1 pound lentils dried
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes fire roasted
- ½ cup onions chopped
- 2 (1 oz.) packets low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 (12 oz.) bag vegetable crumbles frozen (optional)
- 1-3 dashes hot sauce (optional)
- In a slow cooker, add lentils, stock, water, tomatoes, onions and seasoning. Stir.
- Cook on high for 3 hours. Add the frozen bag of veggie crumbles, and let heat for 30 minutes on high (omit if you don't have these on hand). For the last 1 1/2 hours, take off the lid to the slow cooker and turn heat down to low.
- (Can be cooked for 8 hours on low. Take the lid off at the end and add the veggie crumbles. Continue to cook on low without covering until serving time.)
- The lentils should be thick enough for a fork to stand up in the middle. Taste at the end and add salt and/or hot sauce if needed. If too thick, loosen with water or stock, 1/4 cup at a time.