No need to fear when your mushrooms start to lose life in the fridge -…
Is a party really a party without layered taco dip? The answer is no! This ULTIMATE taco dip makes any party a true bash…and no layer is left behind!
Layered taco dip is probably up there in my top five party dishes. (Don’t make me rank them because it’s probably more than 5). I can’t remember a Christmas Eve family gathering when we didn’t have taco dip. My mom would make it the same way every year. I still remember on Christmas day when we were taking a break from unwrapping gifts, we would pull taco dip leftovers out of the fridge and down the rest of the messy dip.
It’s a super easy dip that makes every taco lover happy. In fact, there’s really no perfect way to make it. I have tried so many variations of this recipe and I love them all. This particular version has every layer you could possibly want. I think after three days I finished the whole dish by myself because it was THAT good.
Also, if there are party people that want something that’s vegetarian or on the leaner side, this is your recipe! Is it a salad? Is it a dip? It doesn’t matter – it’s awesome, it’s healthier and it tastes like a guilty pleasure when it’s totally not! I added a ton more vegetables to really feel good about eating this…and eating A LOT of this!
I’m super excited about sharing my layered taco dip (THE ULITMATE) because it’s just soooooo addicting! I would highly recommend using the following recipes to create each individual layer completely from scratch… but my inner Ina is saying … “store bought is fine!”
- 1 (15 oz.) can refried beans vegetarian, fat free
- ⅓ cup vegetable broth
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced, divided
- 1 small onion diced, divided
- ½ medium zucchini diced, divided
- 1 jalapeno seeded, finely diced, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 (12 oz.) container "meatless" crumbles or ground meat substitute
- 1 (1 oz.) packet reduced sodium taco seasoning divided
- 2 cups guacamole or 4 smashed avocado (with lime juice)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 ½ cups non fat Greek yogurt plain
- 1/2 (8 oz.) block fat free cream cheese plain
- 3 cups lettuce shredded
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup low fat or fat free cheddar shredded
- 10 large black olives sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup green onion chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos chopped (optional)
- Heat a large frying pan with nonstick cooking spray on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Once heated, add half of the diced pepper, half of the diced onion and half of the diced jalapeño. After 2 minutes of sauteeing, add zucchini. Sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes until the vegetables become tender and slightly translucent. Add salt and pepper. Then add a can of refried beans and stock. Stir and heat until smooth. Spread evenly on the bottom of a deep 13”x9” casserole dish.
- Using the same frying pan, add nonstick cooking spray and then the half of the chopped onion, pepper and jalapeño. After 2 minutes add zucchini. Sauté for and additional 1-2 minutes until the vegetables become tender and slightly translucent. Add salt and pepper. Remove from the skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Add more nonstick cooking spray and then meat substitute. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the meat substitute is almost completely cooked through. Add 1/2 a packet of taco seasoning and then add the sautéed vegetables back into the vegetable crumbles. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and then evenly layer on top of the refried bean layer.
- Allow meatless substitute layer to cool and then add salsa and spread evenly.
- In a blender or a food processor, combine yogurt, cream cheese, cilantro, garlic and the remainder of the taco seasoning packet. Blend for at least 30 seconds until all ingredients are smoothly blended together. Layer all blender contents evenly on top of the salsa.
- On top of the cream cheese/yogurt layer, add an even layer of guacamole. Cover and allow all layers to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Remove and top with lettuce, cheese, olives and sprinkle with pico de gallo and green onions. Add pickled jalapeños and serve with tortilla chips.